Introducing the ultimate seafood comfort food: Rick Moonen’s Cioppino Fra Diavolo. A simple recipe that is sure to impress.
Prep and Cooking Time Medium
Recipe Difficulty Easy
- 24 Little neck clams
- 6 oz. Alaska halibut filet, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 oz. Atlantic salmon filet, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 12 oz. East Coast shrimp, peeled with tail-on
- ½ c. Water
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1½ c. White onions, finely diced
- 1/3 c. Garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. Fresh picked thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp. Dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 tsp. Crushed red chile peppers
- ½ c. Dry white wine
- 1 c. Fresh clam juice
- 26 oz. (1 box) Chopped tomatoes
- ¾ Blanched calamarata pasta
- ¼ Fresh parsley, sliced
- ¼ Fresh basil, sliced
- ½ lb. Patagonia red king crab meat
- Rinse clams in cold water. Pre heat saucepan on high heat for 3 minutes.
- Place the clams in the hot saucepan. Add ½ cup of water, cover saucepan.
- Steam clams until they begin to open (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Remove clams and cool at room temperature.
- Strain clam liquid into a separate container, remove the clam meat from the shells and store them in the strained clam juice.
- Season halibut, salmon and shrimp with sea salt and fresh pepper.
- Preheat large skillet on high heat. Add 4 tbs. of olive oil and the seasoned salmon, halibut and shrimp to the skillet. Sear seafood for about 2 minutes. Place on a plate.
- In the skillet add 2 tbs. of olive oil, seasoned scallops. Sear the scallops quickly and place on plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Add onions and remaining olive oil to the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, oregano and chile flakes and sauté for 1 minute. Add wine and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and clam juice (reserve clam meat for the end) and season with salt and fresh pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, maintain a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the calamarata pasta to almost al dente. (Finish cooking the calamarata in the sauce).
- Stir parsley and basil into sauce. Add the seared seafood and juices that have accumulated to the sauce. Add clam meat and crab meat and pasta – give it a toss. Bring to a simmer and distribute into pasta bowls.