Put work on the back burner with this effortlessly elegant bacon wrapped scallop appetizer. A simple, fragrant rice pilaf is baked, tossed with almonds and herbs, and then topped with crispy bacon wrapped scallop skewers.
- Scallop Skewers:
- 8 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 15 minutes
- 40 bacon wrapped scallops (already assembled)
- fresh lemon slices
- olive oil
- Rice Pilaf:
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup long grain rice
- ½ cup quick cook wild rice
- ½ cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 stems fresh thyme
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- ½ cup toasted almond slices
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place butter and oil in large skillet. Heat to medium high heat and saute onion until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook stir until coated and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, bay leaf, thyme and salt. Bring to a simmer and cover.
- Place in oven and bake until rice is tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- When the grill is hot, brush the grates lightly with oil, then place the scallops on the grill and cook, turning frequently, approximately 3-4 minutes on each side, or until the bacon is done.
- Once the rice is done, discard bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Stir in almonds, parsley and thyme leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with Bacon Wrapped Scallop skewers.
Makes: 6-8 servings.
Did you know?
In addition to tasting utterly delicious, wrapping scallops in bacon has a practical purpose, too. The bacon keeps the scallops moist and juicy on the grill, while also adding a touch of saltiness and delicious smoky flavor.