There’s nothing like a beautifully seared scallop, and a salad that’s bright and flavorful. This recipe utilizes both to give the feel of summer all year round!
Prep and Cooking Time 20 minutes
Recipe Difficulty Easy
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds cucumber, preferably thin Asian or English variety
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar or 1/2 cup white vinegar diluted with 1/4 cup water
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled, and minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or other neutral oil
- 1 pound sea scallops (cut in half through their equators if very large) or shrimp, peeled
- 1 medium to large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Using a mandolin, slice cucumbers thinly. Toss with vinegar, ginger, sugar and salt, let stand.
- Put 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet, preferably nonstick, over medium-high heat. Wait a minute, then add scallops. Sear for about 2 minutes to a side, then remove to a plate. Turn heat to medium, add remaining oil and onions. Cook until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Stir onions into cucumbers, top with scallops, garnish with sesame seeds, and serve.