Sea scallops meet the Mexican flair of avocado salsa in this instant summertime classic.
Prep and Cooking Time 25 Minutes
Recipe Difficulty Easy
- 1/4 cup finely shredded basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 jalapeño—halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 avocados (10 ounces each) peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds sea scallops
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine the basil, lime juice, olive oil, onion, jalapeño and garlic. Gently mix in the avocados and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil until shimmering. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until browned outside but still rare in the center, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to platter.
- Add water and tomatoes to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat, scraping up any browned bits, until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Pour the pan sauce over the scallops and serve the avocado salsa on the side.