A warm hug on a cold day! This chowder recipe is smoothly delicious and flavorful. We recommend searing a few scallops for each bowl to place as garnish.
- 2lbs sea scallops
- 1 c. crumbled bacon
- 3 c. 18% cream
- 1-2 c. fish sauce (or 2 bottles of clam juice)
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 5-6 c. potatoes (diced)
- 1 c. celery (chopped)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 3 c. chicken broth
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1/4 tsp. rosemary
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. salt and pepper
- Melt 3 tbsp. butter and sauté onion, celery and garlic.
- Add red pepper flakes, butter and flour and stir until smooth.
- Pour in the chicken broth.
- Add potatoes, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper and stir.
- Add cream and fish sauce.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender (about 10 minutes) and then reduce heat.
- Thicken to desired consistency by mixing equal amounts of chowder broth and flour.
- Add scallops and crumbled bacon.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with toasted pecans and crumbled bacon, optional: add seared scallops to each serving dish.