Here’s a delicious recipe that is fun to plate – time to get creative for an impressive presentation! This recipe is gluten-free and can be substituted to be dairy-free.
Recipe Difficulty Easy
- 1 whole celery root
- 1-2 medium size potatoes
- 1-2 pounds Sea Scallops
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 cup butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2-3 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 20 sage leaves ( 5 leaves per 1 serving)
- Chopped chives for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice
- Peel and chop the funky looking vegetable called celery root.
- Peel and chop potatoes.
- Bring pot to a boil and add chopped celery root, potato, bay leaves, salt, and a sprig of tarragon. Cook until tender.
- Drain water.
- In a blender or food processor; add the cream, garlic, another sprig of tarragon, 1-2 T butter, S&P to taste.( adjust if needed depending on the size of the celery root.)
- Purée until smooth, but do not over blend as starch in the vegetables may become sticky.
- Remove the “foot” if attached.
- Pat scallops with paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat pan to medium heat,add 1T butter and melt. TIP: Before adding sea scallops, allow pan to reach temperature to ensure a golden sear.
- Cook scallops 2-3 min per side, until golden brown. TIP: Allow scallops to sear and do not touch while cooking.
- Remove from pan.
- Immediately Add 1T butter to pan and add sage leaves leaves. Cook until crispy. TIP: only takes about a minute.
- Browned Butter:
- Using the same pan, Increase temperature to high.
- Add aprox 5-7 T butter and brown until butter is foamy ( about 2-3 min).
- Have fun with plating:
- Spread celery root purée on your favourite plate(s).
- Top with 5 seared scallops.
- Add 5 crispy sage leaves
- Drizzle browned butter and a squeeze of lemon.
- Garnish with chives and chopped tarragon.
- Serves 4.