We understand if you’re a little skeptical about microwaving as a cooking method. But the truth is that when it comes to fish, it totally works. Microwaved fish is surprisingly tasty, tender and a true joy to eat. Here are some of our favorite—and expert-approved—tips to help you microwave seafood like a pro.
Pro Tips: Microwaving
Here’s our favorite tips to help you microwave like a pro:
- Make sure all fish portions are approximately the same thickness.
- Place on a microwave-safe plate and add a tbsp. of white wine, lemon juice or orange juice.
- Add herbs and any aromatics.
- Cover plate with microwave-safe plastic wrap and cook at full power for 2-3 minutes, or until fish is barely translucent.
- Let the plate stand for 5 minutes to finish cooking before removing the wrap and serving.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Microwave-ready cooking dishes
- Plastic wrap
- Tongs or wide spatula
Best seafood for microwaving
Fish: Sea Bass, Kona Kampachi, Sablefish, Tuna, Sole, Whitefish, Sand Dab, King Mackerel, Salmon, Flounder, Kingfish, Mahi mahi, Cod, Roughy, Haddock, Halibut, Trout, Mullet, Walleye, Perch, Grouper, Rainbow Trout, Tilefish, Whiting, Snapper, Pollock, Monkfish, Striped Bass, Pompano, Pike, Rockfish, Northern Pike, Swordfish
Other seafood: Shrimp, Crab, Lobster, Mussels, Clams