Enjoy the best of both worlds with a cooking method that’s ideally suited for health-conscious diets and discerning foodies. Steaming brings out the pure, natural flavor of seafood—and does it with zero added fat. Here are some of our favorite—and expert-approved—tips to help you steam seafood like a pro.
Here’s our favorite tips to help you steam like a pro:
- Fill a pan with 2” of water and bring to a boil.
- For extra flavor, add white wine, herbs, bay leaves or lemon slices to the liquid.
- Place your seafood in a basket or bamboo steamer and put over the water, making sure your food doesn’t touch the liquid.
- Cover your pot tightly and do not open.
- Budget 10 minutes of cooking time per 1 inch of thickness.
Here’s what you need:
- Steaming basket or bamboo steamer
- Large pot with a tight-fitting lid
Best seafood for steaming
Cuts: Fillets and steaks, whole fish, rolled fillets
Fish: Whitefish, Flounder, Sand Dab, Sole, Tilefish, Whiting, Snapper
Other Seafood: Shrimp, Crab, Lobster, Mussels